Thursday, August 2, 2007

Feeding My Inner Foodie

So... why a second blog when it is unlikely I will keep up adequately with one? Well... for the present, at least, I am undertaking efforts to really think about what I am eating and serving each day and to put into practice some of what I have known for a very long time about nutrition. This blog is the intersection of my desire for some accountability, my irrepressible urge to write and my creative side. I am no chef. I am no nutritionist. I am no photographer. However, I am a foodie who needs to create order where there has been none for several years.

I should preface this by saying I in no means wish to give offense to those who may find foods here that are inappropriate to, say, fasting seasons. With my husband's blessing I am trying to cook in a thoughtful, careful way, which may not always be in line with seasonal restrictions. I aspire to developing a more mindful approach to both the spiritual and material matters of food... but for now I am taking baby steps and hope you will either choose not to read or will choose to forgive my weakness if you care to look at this blog.

So, what's the plan? Well, I know that diets don't work. Lifestyle changes do. So, I am not following any diet plan, I am just trying to use good sense when it comes to food and what my lifestyle can support. What does that mean?

1. I don't think any food should be off-limits, though some should be enjoyed sparingly.
2. I want to focus on minimally-processed foods.
3. I want to use fresh foods and locally-grown foods whenever practical.
4. I don't want to count calories. Instead, I want to create balance in each meal.
5. I want to be wise about the fat, sodium and sugar content of the food. I want to use only as much as is absolutely required for good taste.
6. I want to use the fresh herbs in our small container garden to liven up the color and flavor of foods I cook.
and, finally,
7. The foodie in me loves the richness and color and texture of food. If I can make food that is tasty and beautiful, my love for food and my need for better health can coexist!

How well I will succeed remains to be seen... here!

No comments: